I currently find myself in Washington and blackberries are poppin' right now so I obviously had to come up with some sort of blackberry dish. I wanted it to be sweet/tart and simple so here's my take on a vegan/gluten free blackberry crisp.
FOR THE CRISP
- 1/3 c gluten free flour ( I used a mix of quick and old fashioned)
- 1/3 c oats
- 4 tbsp butter ( I use Myokos Vegan butter )
- 1/4 c coconut sugar
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1 tsp arrow root
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Add all the berry ingredients together in a bowl and give it a good stir till it's all well coated.
- In a bowl, add together all the ingredients for the crisp and mix till it forms a dry 'dough'.(use your hands for this. It may seem like it won't stick together but keep mixing - it will)
- Place the berries in a 9" cast iron pan or other small oven safe dish and pour/place the dough randomly on top.
- Bake at 350F for about 15-20 min